Thursday, March 28, 2013

When running a marathon just isn't far enough...



Who thought we would have a weekend where ULTRAmarathons dominated the headlines???  Well, this past weekend it was...

In southwest Virginia, Keith partook in the Terrapin Mountain 50k.  The race featured roughly 7,500 ft elevation gain and the same in loss over the 31.1 miles.  He gave me a brief race report which included 'sore' legs...big surprise there!  He ran a tough race crossing the finish line in 4:34:21 for 5th.  I believe this race is one of the first in a big race series down in the Lynchburg area.  Shout out to the Club VP, Donnie, who reportedly ran a heck of a race.

Up north, several Striders toed the line at the HAT 50k held in Susquehanna State Park.  This race was flat in comparison to Terrapin Mountain, with roughly 4,800 ft elevation gain/4,800 loss.  The course consisted of a 'short' 3.6 mile loop followed by two 13.7 mile loops which includes a variety of terrain: roads, grass fields, single-track trails, and loose gravel.  Yours truly gave it the ole college try, going out with the lead group of guys.  Like an amateur, I carried no hydration and only two gels.  This meant I had to stop at every aid station to get Gatorade or water.  At the end of the first big loop, I did something I've never done in a race before...eat food.  I tried to grab things I considered easy on my stomach.  However, as I departed, I grabbed a few Fig Newtons which were a big mistake.  They dried my throat out immediately after consumption.  I underestimated the fact that though you are moving slower due to the hills, your body is still burning a boatload of calories.  Anyway, it was a great experience but I wouldn't recommend the postrace lactic acid build-up on anyone.  I came in 4th in 4:08:47.  The race of the day went to Caroline.  She took 35 minutes off of last year's time as she used the race as her last long run before Boston in a few weeks.  She finished 5th in the women's race which included a stacked field, clocking a 5:03:22.

Maurice surfaced in the race results, first I've seen since Club Challenge.  He ran the BRRC White Hall 15k and came in 8th in 60:28, winning the Master's crown.  Hoping to see more of him as Spring rolls along...

In related news, our team captain, Carlos, is BACK!  I had the pleasure of running with him in his first workout back yesterday and he was able to clock 5:15-5:25 during our 5xMile workout.  I guess he's not as out of shape as I thought he would be!

No comments:

Post a Comment