It was an eventful and record-breaking marathon season for many, with the following results:
- Julia Roman-Duval and Caroline Bauer had stand-out performances at the Chicago Marathon on Oct. 13th, where Julia met the standard to qualify for Olympic Trials A and Caroline for Olympic Trials B. Julia PR'd and came in 19th overall with a time of 2:35:41, while Caroline came in 55th with a time of 2:44:03.
- At the Richmond Marathon November 16th, Hannah Cocchiaro qualified for the Olympic Trials and came in 3rd place overall female with a PR of 2:40:08.
- Eric Schuler came in 13th overall and 3rd in his age group at 2:48:00 at the Wineglass Marathon.
- Andrew Madison came in 3rd in the Baltimore Marathon with a time of 2:41:05.
- Amanda Beal headed to scenic Newport, R.I. for the Newport Marathon, placing 3rd overall female with a time of 3:19:43.
- Jason Tripp and Akintunde Morakinyo braved the downpour followed by heat at the New York City Marathon, posting 2:49:29 and 3:09:47 respectively.
- In between many impressive performances this season, Faye Weaver served her fellow runners by pacing two marathons: the 4:30 Baltimore Marathon group and the 3:55 Wineglass Marathon group.
At the DCRRC National Capital 20-miler, Kevin Ford placed 3rd overall with a time of 2:05:09.
In Half Marathon news:
- At the Baltimore Half Marathon, Adam Sachs came in 5th overall, 2nd in his age group and PR'd with 1:15:33 and Ed Wilson came in first in the 55-59 age group with a time of 1:27:49.
- Jason Tripp came in 10th overall and was 3rd male master at the Wineglass Half Marathon with a time of 1:17:50.
- Three Striders racers set PRs in the Richmond Half Marathon: Kevin Ford at 1:12:58; Julia Roman-Duval at 1:14:58 who came in 3rd overall female: and Faye Weaver at 1:34:18, who came in 3rd in the 45-49 age group.
- Faye Weaver was also first female master in the Bachman Valley Half Marathon at 1:47:20.
At the Army 10-Miler, Jason Liu PR'd with a time of 1:01:16, followed by James Blackwood, 1:03:30; Tunde Morakinyo, 1:04:28; Ed Wilson, 1:05:48; and Dave Berardi, 1:07:51. Among women racing team members, Hannah Cocchiaro came in 2nd overall and PR'd at 56:38, followed by Louise Valentine at 1:09:18 and Deb Taylor at 1:16:28.
On Oct. 5, Lindsey Pickett sped to a PR and a first place finish among all women in the Great Allegheny 15K at 1:01:27, and Rachel Collins was not far behind at 1:05:56, with a 3rd place overall finish, PR and award for 1st place female master.
At area 10Ks:
- Callie Betman clocked 42:36 to take first place overall female in the Race for our Kids 10K.
- In the Marine Corps 10K, Jason Liu came in 8th overall and first in the 45-49 age group with a time of 27:54.
- At the Veteran's Day 10K in Washington, D.C., Amanda Beal was 8th overall, 2nd in among 30-39 females, and earned a PR with a time of 39:39, while Rachel Collins was first female master with a time of 44:29.
- At the Zaching Against Cancer 10K, Jason Tripp came in 3rd overall with a time of 36:40 (just behind his son Will at 2nd with 34:34); Ed Wilson came in 4th overall and 1st in 50-59 with a time of 39:51; Tammy Liu came in 5th overall and was first in the 50-59 age group with a time of 47:36, while Debbie Cohen came in 3rd in the 60-69 age group at 55:55.
- Adam Sachs came in 2nd overall at the Annapolis 10K with a time of 34:54.
- At our own Run Through the Grapevine 10K, Eric Schuler conquered the hilly cross-country course, coming in first place at a time of 38:35, while James Blackwood was third in his age group at 47:49. Kevin Ford came in first in the 5K leg of the relay at 17:51.
- Deb Taylor came in first in the 50-59 age group and was 5th woman overall at the Turkey Chase 10K with a time of 45:12.
In the 5 mile category, Eric Schuler took second in the Octoberfest 5 miler at 29:03 and Mark Landree was 4th overall and first male master at the Downs Park 5 miler at 27:48.
And in 5K news:
- At the Baltimore Running Festival 5K, Lindsay Pickett earned 6th overall female, first place 35-39, and PR'd at 19:26; Rachel Collins earned 2nd female master with a time of 20:52; Jason Liu earned 1st place 45-49 and PR'd at 17:27; and Brian Shadrick earned 2nd place in his age group at 17:52.
- Louise Valentine placed 4th overall and first in her age group at the Susquehanna River Running Festival 5K with a time of 20:28.
- Kevin Ford took 2nd in the APL 5K at 16:34.
- Debbie Cohen was the 6th overall female and 1st in the 60-69 age group at the Northfield Elementary School 5K with a time of 26:31 and also took 1st among 60 and over at the Holy Redeemer School Monster Dash 5K at 27:06.
HEADING TO BOSTON 2020:
Gaining entry into the Boston Marathon got five minutes minus another minute and 41 seconds harder than in the past several years, based on the new time tougher standard and extra cushion needed to qualify for 2020. Racing team members registered for the event, being held on April 20, 2020, include Jason Tripp, Tunde Moraykino, Deb Taylor, and Debbie Cohen (those are all I know about). Who else is going?
HAPPY WINTER WEATHER RUNNING TO ALL!!!!!
HAPPY WINTER WEATHER RUNNING TO ALL!!!!!
Kevin Ford at the National Capitol 20-miler.
Brian Shadrick at the Baltimore Running Festival 5K.